The Student Residence Permit

Please note: 

  • If you have a Turkish ID card or a Blue Card (Mavi Kart), you do not need to apply for a Residence Permit.

International students

After you have entered the Republic of Turkey on a student visa, tourist visa, or e-visa, if you are planning to stay more than 90 days, you must obtain a Residence Permit from the Republic of Turkey, Ministry of the Interior, Directorate of Migration Management (İçişleri Bakanlığı Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü).  The central office of the Ministry of the Interior, located in Ankara, decides and implements all of the rules and regulations regarding the visas and residence permits and documents required for them. In Istanbul, the main offices of the Ministry of the Interior are located in the district of Fatih.

Please note: The Residence Permit is not issued by Boğaziçi University. The Office of International Relations provides students with the list of documents required for the application and can check your application packet before you submit your documents to review and accept the packets on a pre-arranged date, as described below.

  • Students are responsible for their own legal status while they are in Turkey. All visa matters take place between the student and the Ministry of the Interior, Directorate General of Migration Services.
  • The Office of International Relations at Boğaziçi University does not keep records of the visa status of enrolled students.
  • Students are also responsible for learning about and assembling the documents required for the Student Residence Permit, as stipulated by the Ministry. The Office of International Relations provides the required information, helps students assemble the application documents, and collect all of the applications from the students.
  • Do not begin any Residence Permit procedures on your own. Students may not begin the application procedures until their official status as students has been verified by the University, after the Add/Drop period.

    When to apply for the Student Residence Permit

    Your status as a student can be legally verified by the University only after the online course registration period has finished. During this time, you are in the country on your student visa/tourist visa/e-visa. (Once you have submitted all of your documents to the Office of Immigration, your data will be entered into the system of the Ministry of the Interior and your legal status in the country is secure until receiving your residence permit card.)

    Residence Permit Application Preparation

    The Directorate of Migration Management (Göç İdaresi Genel Müdürlüğü) now requires that students submit their application documents in person. When you have collected all of the documents described below, please make an appointment with Nilüfer Kırıcı, who will do a pre-check to make sure that everything is correct so that you aren't turned back at the Immigration Office for having incomplete or incorrectly prepared documents.

    Application for the Student Residence Permit

    1. Create an account for yourself with the Ministry of the Interior, Directorate General of Migration Management to fill out, download, and print out your Application Form. ( Please wait until after the registration for classes to begin the residence permit application process. We will have an online session for that.)

    2. Assemble the documents required for the Application.

    Be very careful not to miss anything as incomplete document packets are not accepted by the Ministry of the Interior. If you have any questions, please stop by our Office. We can check to make sure you have everything before the submission date.

    Documents Required 

    From you:

    1. Printed and signed Application Form.
    2. Passport and photocopies of the main page that has your photo and name and passport number, and the page that has the stamp that you received from Immigration when you entered the country. Make sure that the date of entry can be read easily. If you entered the country on an  E-visa, you must provide a copy of the document.
    3. 4 passport-sized photos. Only biometric photos are accepted. This means a photograph of you looking straight into the camera, against a white or light grey background, with a neutral facial expression. Closest to the university, there is a shop in Hisar Üstü, one in Bebek, and one in Levent that takes photographs to official specifications.
    4. Health Insurance Policy. 
    5. Document of Residence
      (One of the following documents is considered sufficient.)
      o If you are staying in your own home, a photocopy of the title deed; (“residence document” is sufficient for extension applications.)
      o If you are staying in a rental house on a rental agreement, a notarized copy of your rental agreement;
      o If you are staying at a hotel, etc. proof of your stay in these places;
      o If you are staying in a student dormitory, e-signed/signed and sealed/stamped document showing that you are staying in the dormitory.
      o If you are staying in a third person’s residence, the notarized undertaking of the host(if the host is married, also the notarized undertaking of the spouse)

    From the Registrar's Office

    1. Student Certificate. You can get this once your online course schedule has been approved by your advisor. The certificate will be ready 48 hours for you to pick up from the Registrar’s Office, located on the South Campus, in Gates Hall, the General Administration Building. To apply, start online at:

    Registrar's Office -> Students -> Student Information -> Login -> Request Documents -> Student document.

      2. Student Confirmation of Study. You must apply in person for this document at the Registrar's Office. A sample of the request form is available at the Office of International Relations.

    From the Office of International Relations

    1. Income Declaration Document (available from the Office of International Relations)

    From the Tax Office in Şişli (Şişli Vergi Dairesi):

    1. Receipt of payment of the 110.00 TL  for the  Residence Permit. In order to pay this fee, you must first obtain a Tax Number, which you can also do at the Şişli Tax Office.  You must have the receipt from the payment in your packet of documents when you submit your Application Packet.

    Relevant links: